For the New version see Ancient Spirits of Evil (2011 TV series)
|Ancients Spirits of Evil|
The Ancient Spirits of Evil are evil spirits that Mumm-Ra summons in order to transform himself into Mumm-Ra, the Ever-Living. In addition, he sometimes invokes the Ancient Spirits of Evil to transform himself from Mumm-Ra, the Ever-Living to other forms to suit his purposes, such as the Netherwitch (The Astral Prison) or Diamondfly. The spirits are represented by four large statues surrounding the cauldron.
Mumm-Ra uses the following invocation to summon the spirits to perform his transformation:
- "Ancient Spirits of Evil,
- Transform this decayed form,
- to Mumm-Ra, the Ever-Living!"
The Ancient Spirits of Evil are the source of Mumm-Ra's powers and they control him. They would provide Mumm-Ra with whatever knowledge they could give him.
When the Ancient Spirits of Evil were getting disappointed with Mumm-Ra's repeated failures, they demand that he destroy the ThunderCats or else he, the Mutants, and the Lunataks would be forcefully removed from Third Earth, they make Ma-Mutt disappear as an example. When Mumm-Ra fails and the deadline passes, the Ancient Spirits of Evil trap Mumm-Ra in a crystal with his transport pyramid and cast him away from Third Earth. When the ThunderCats decide to colonize New Thundera to rebuild it after destroying Mumm-Ra's pyramid, the Ancient Spirits of Evil free Mumm-Ra and rebuild his cauldron on Third Earth. Since then, they would summon one of their minions to help Mumm-Ra in his plots to destroy the ThunderCats.
In "Leah," the Ancient Spirits of Evil summoned Mirror Wraith to help Mumm-Ra. After Mirror Wraith was defeated by the ThunderCats and ended up back at Mumm-Ra's pyramid, he had the Ancient Spirits of Evil deal with him. The Ancient Spirits of Evil teleported the Mirror Wraith away.
In "The Book of Omens," Mumm-Ra steals the Book of Omens from the ThunderCats and infiltrates it as the Ancient Spirits of Evil try to stop Lion-O with the Bull Statue falling apart in this attempt. When Mumm-Ra was losing to Lion-O and he calls upon them for help, the Ancient Spirits of Evil use Mumm-Ra's cauldron to summon their champion Pyron.
The Four Statues
There are four anthropomorphic statues that seem to correspond to the Ancient Spirits of Evil:
- Boar - resembles the hog men in Mandora the Evil Chaser
- Bull - in Episode 61, Lion-O's Trial of Evil, the head of the Bull statue is broken off. It fell apart again when Lion-O tried to infiltrate the Book of Omens after it as stolen by Mumm-Ra.
- Vulture - in Episode 33, Dimension Doom, Mumm-Ra refers to this one as 'the Vulture King'
Mumm-Ra's interaction with the statues changes after his defeat at Fire Rock Mountain. The statues each hold out an arm and circle the cauldron, creating a lurid green glow while transforming Mumm-Ra to Ever-Living form. This imbues Mumm-Ra with additional power.
Other Forces of Darkness
- Nemesis - in Episode 12, The Doomgaze; and Episode 34, Queen of 8 Legs; described only as a "force of darkness" and voiced by Earle Hyman
- Anuket, Anubis, and Apophis - in Episode 35, Sword in a Hole; summoned by Mumm-Ra while in proximity to the Black Hole